The PBROTrib has obtained a copy of a letter already being sent to voters in the Peterborough Parliamentary Constituency which underlines the utter Horlicks The Returning Officer and PCC Chief Executive Gillian Beasley has allowed to happen.
But nothing so far for Stanground East residents. A situation Stanground East residents are long used to, as the outgoing councillor has in our view been effective as a feather paperweight, over four long wasted years...
PCC are trying to shift the blame onto the Slough based printer, but residents should ask who signed off the work at each stage as it progressed? Did PCC election staff attend the SLOUGH printworks to check proofs, sign off the work as correct at each stage, and to ensure the security aspects were in accordance with Gillian Beasleys legal remit. Or did the PCC ship it all out to a third party, a print farmer perhaps, and forget about it?
While you are waiting for the postman try this eye test just look at the centre button and follow the instructions, and then see why your papers were switched (?)
We are not certain if the complicated directions contained in Kim Sawyers letter are at all lawful, as a binding legal declaration, above the signature panel has to be made that the number on the back of the ballot paper is the same as that printed on the legal declaration on the envelope.
Under Mr Sawyers 'cock-up reversal' system the chain of custody of important legal documents is clearly broken and should any candidate not be elected or dispute the count they could in our view ask for the Vote/Election to be declared null and void. In view of the past poor record on the completion and handling of postal votes and the high level of alleged fraud in years gone by.
The complete pack should be reprinted and couriered out again, if the voter makes any mistake the election staff say they will correct it, but if the voter has already voted and gone on a business trip abroad. The replacement slips to be married up with a numbered/coded envelope could well arrive too late to be taken into the official vote and effectively disqualified the voter and materially disadvantaged the candidate. All candidates should now routinely ask for a recount if they are in anyway affected both parliamentary candidates and Local Government Election Candidates.
Some may say the parties most reliant on postal voting may be disadvantaged, but the Elections Staff should now categorically refuse to accept bulk deliveries from party agents, and others who purport to be representing the lawful holders of postal votes.
Needless to say the outgoing councillor for Stanground East hasn't bothered to communicate so we have added the script in RED as how the Stanground letter might read. We also understand that the PCC Elections team intend to rely on Royal Mail for delivery, rather than a next day delivery service.
01733 452537 firstname.lastname@example.org Kim Sawyer
21 April 2015
IMPORTANT: THIS AFFECTS YOUR VOTE
You should have received your postal vote ballot envelope containing a parliamentary election (white) and a local election (yellow) ballot paper.
Unfortunately due to an error at the printing company you have been sent the wrong parliamentary (white) ballot paper. You are a voter in the Peterborough [or NORTH WEST CAMBRIDGESHIRE] constituency. You have been sent a ballot paper for the North West Cambridgeshire [or PETERBOROUGH ] constituency.
We are immediately correcting this mistake. [NOT SO NOTHING SENT TO AFFECTED VOTERS BY NOON 23rd APRIL!] In the next few days you will receive the correct parliamentary election (white) ballot paper.
WHAT TO DO NEXT:
If you have already returned your parliamentary and local election ballot paper pack;
* Identify your incorrect parliamentary election paper when we receive it and destroy it
* Ensure that your valid local election (yellow) ballot paper goes into the election count
* Complete your new, correct parliamentary (white) ballot paper when you receive it, and
* Return it to us according to the instructions in the new pack
If you have not yet returned your parliamentary and local elections ballot paper pack;
* Destroy the old, incorrect parliamentary election (white) ballot paper in the old pack
* Retrieve the local election (yellow) ballot paper from the incorrect pack
* Return the local election (yellow) ballot paper together with the new, correct parliamentary election (white) ballot paper in the new pack
Please ring the elections helpline on 01733 452282 if you need any help with these instructions.
I apologise for any inconvenience caused. We are doing our best to put this right and we thank you for your understanding.
Director of Governance
|Performance standards for Returning Officers in Great Britain
Performance standard 1: Voters
|Ensuring that planning for and delivery of the poll enables voters to vote easily and know that their vote will be counted in the way they intended|
|Outcome||What does the RO need to do to achieve the outcome||What will demonstrate how the outcome has been met|
|Voters receive the information they need, in an accessible format and within time for them to cast their vote||
• Develop and implement robust project management processes
• Evaluate planning for and delivery of previous polls and identify lessons learnt, updating plans as required
• Put in place arrangements to manage contractors and suppliers to ensure that the work is delivered as required by the specification
• Ensure robust processes are in place for ensuring that there are no errors on voter materials, notice of poll and notice of election
• Project planning documentation which is kept under regular review
• Planning documentation reflecting lessons learnt
• Arrangements in place for the management of contractors and suppliers
• Processes for the proof-checking of voter materials, notice of poll and notice of election
• Information on the method for delivery of poll cards, including an estimation of when poll cards will be delivered
E&OE google.com/+JulianBray Tel:+44 (0) 1733 345581 (Option: Reportophone enhanced) ISDN COOBE LINK: +44 (0) 1733 345020 [G722 & ATX Codecs] IPHONE 0743 303145 http://feeds.feedburner.com/BraysDuckhouseBlog .