Martin Goldman, Chief Crown Prosecutor, CPS Yorkshire and Humberside said: “This is a truly tragic case in which Paul Wilson lost his life entirely needlessly.
Mohammed Zaman directly caused the death of Mr Wilson by causing him to be served a meal that he knew contained potentially lethal peanut powder.
“Zaman substituted almond powder with a cheaper ground nut mix, which contained peanuts. He failed to warn customers, failed to properly train his employees and failed to take any action following a previous serious allergic reaction. These failures led to Mr Wilson’s death.
“In this conviction, the CPS has sent a very clear message to the catering industry: there is a duty of care to your customers. If you ignore your responsibilities and regulations and put lives at real risk then we will not hesitate to prosecute.”
E&OE google.com/+JulianBray Tel:+44 (0) 1733 345581 .